Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ducks and geese
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:33 pm 

Just traveled up to South Dakota for some phesant hunting. We saw a HUGE flock of snow geese last Friday. Don't know exactly how many it might have contained but it was several thousand and covered several acres.

Sunday evening we went to the guides property just to look around. We saw turkey, whitetail deer, mule deer, phesants, geese, and thousands of mallards. The mallards had landed in a corn field and there were thousands of them. So many were in flight that they actually almost blocked out the sun. Added to that a line of them were still coming from the west as far as the eye could see.

I have seen more geese that that on the Texas coast but that is the most mallards I have ever seen. Lots of canada geese also.

Post subject: Re: Ducks and geese
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Wow - that sounds more like a mass massacre than a hunt, but nice :appl: Send some of them down here! We can only do pheasant hunt after they released them in the fields - and then you pretty much walk shoulder by shoulder with other guys through the field....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:18 am 

What that they tell me is that it is real hard to obtain a waterfowl license. I was talking to my hunting partner and our dream deal is buying license for everything and going for deer, waterfowl, phesants, and walleye. The guy we use for phesant hunting is a big time walleye guide.

We were headed up there a summer ago with a load of dog food. Once we got there we were going to fish for walleye. Wound up with trailer problems and had to put it off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:37 pm 

I saw lots and lots of canadians in Ok, Ks, Nb and Sd. Most of the small bodies of water are frozen over but they head to the big ones that are open.