Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squirrel Hunt Tomorrow
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm 

A buddy called me today and wants me to bring my hog dogs down to the place he squirrel hunts. He has 3 new squirrel dogs and they are baying up hogs. I believe he said that they are Mullins Fiests. Have not seen them yet but they are good dogs if he owns them. He hunts squirrels every day.

We are going after some squirrels tomorrow and I will get to see them work. Sometimes when they get on a hog they will not come off. He has to shoot the hog and kill it to get the dog off.

Guess what he is using to kill the hogs. A 20 ga. with no 6 shot. He says that if you get 25 yards or less it will kill them every time. He is using a real tight choke.

I want to check this deal out. Cannot run my hog dogs yet because deer season is still going on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am 

Sounds like fun. I've always enjoyed a day in the woods hunting squirrels with my dog. I like to use my .32 cal. muzzleloader, but with wild hogs running around I guess I would be packing my .44 as well!

He must be shooting them in heart/lungs with that 20ga. I can't see #6 shot penetrating the head.
Back when I was a gamewarden, I had some folks from Ireland move here to work at a cheeseplant. They were deer poachers back in Ireland, and continued here.
They carried 20ga, single shot cylinder bored shotguns, and would use lowbase #6 shells cut around,almost all the way through the plastic just above the metal base. When fired, the plastic part of the shell containing the cup and shot acted like a slug. When it hit, it was just like one of those Glazer bullets, dropping the deer in it's tracks.
Took awhile to catch them, but eventually did. They didn't count on ranchers & farmers being protective of the wildlife.

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

good luck with your hunt :bigtup:

2 Grandsons Now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 pm 

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :bigthink:

How was it?

:sparklr:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:24 am 
Site Admin

or how many squirrels down ? :sparklr:

2 Grandsons Now