Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:56 am 

I haven't seen quail OR pheasant chicks. The fact that the adults are still paired up at least indicates they are still trying. Maybe we'll get lucky.
Once this *%# "end of fiscal year" garbage is over, and I have some vehicle mileage again, I'm planning to go down to the "Chicken Ranch" and ask the Prairie Chicken Biologists how the chickens are doing. They have several hens with radio transmitters and they monitor nesting success.
I'd rather go than call. They is 3 young blonde gals. Smell good and are easy on the eyes......

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:07 pm 

I haven't seen any chicks where I am likely to hunt either. I did see a pair and four chicks in my front yard last Fri. Sure hope the cats don't get them.

It is going to be a poor year for quail I'm afraid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:27 pm 
What are these quail and pheasant creatures you all speak of? Since I only got out once last winter to hunt for them, I feel like they are as mythical as the grouse critters everyone seems to like chasing. I keep waiting for Indiana to start selling pegasus or unicorn stamps too. I mgiht as well buy one of those as the upland habitat stamps I get every year... :???: :-| :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:16 pm 

This is getting pathetic and worrisome. Here we are counting birds in the single digits. What happened to the 15 and 20 brood countings we used to have. Gonna be a bad year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:54 am 

I've seen pairs everywhere, but it's so dry I don't think they can get a hatch. :-(
2004 we had 18" of rain,,,,05 we had 6.1",,,so far this year we've had .3",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,110 degrees here yesterday!

God is pissed!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 am 

May have to do my hunting with a pellet gun this year. But, I don't think my dog will hold them long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm 

I counted fifteen coveys between Pecos and Balmorhea on Hwy 17. Yea I know it's all private property and i don't have permission to hunt any of it. Sure was nice to see some birds though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:31 am 

Was down in S. Roosevelt Co. yesterday around the thriving communities of Highway and Pep. Saw several really nice family groups of scalies consisting of 10-15 younguns. They were all past the puffball stage, looked like mini-quail, so have a good chance of survival.

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare