Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Season Goose
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:01 am 
Sept 1 is the opening of the early goose season here in Pa. This is a combined effort of the state and federal gov. to control the locally breeding goose populations. These geese are the ones that stay in the local parks and gulf coarses and make a mess for anyone that tries to use these areas.

I've gone a few times in in years past but I'm going to start again this year. Does your state have a program like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Goose populations look strong, mixed outlook for ducks

Some interest for ya .

Survey results discussed at the council meetings indicate that the Canada goose population in Wisconsin and the Ontario population that migrates to Wisconsin in the fall look very good this year. “Depending on fall weather conditions, goose hunters in Wisconsin should have an excellent season,” Van Horn says.

For most species of ducks, spring breeding pair numbers were up across Canada and wetland conditions were good to very good this spring. Results in the U.S. prairies were mixed, however, with some areas of good habitat while other areas were very dry. In Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan, mallard breeding pair numbers were down this year but poor weather during these May surveys may have affected the survey results.

The one species of concern again this year is scaup. The combined breeding pair survey for greater and lesser scaup was at an all time low of 3.25 million. Based on these results, the Fish and Wildlife Service may reduce the daily bag limit to one scaup from the reduced bag limit of two that was set in 2005, Van Horn says.

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:55 am 
Tear 'em up, Don!!! :drink:

Man, I hate geese about as much as I hate tree rats... :dry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

NOT TOO MENTION THE TASTE ... dry ..tuff.. dark meat is not for me !!

:christo:

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:38 am 
NOT BAD< TUFF :mad:
I'll have you know the first meal I cooked for Karen was goose breast sauteed in mushrooms onion and white wine. It had a few more things in it but my mouth waters just thinking about it. If I can get rid of the kids one night in September I may just get out the candles and try to bring back a few memories.

I think someone needs to work on their cooken skills a little! TUFF! :christo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Bingo I can make vension like no other .. grouse is the best .. but whenit comes to duck or goose it's not for me at all. :bang:
even using wine .. ornage juice ..

maybe I need a new cook to do this job!!! :biglol:

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:32 am 
The Usual wrote:
New York has the same season. And I am grateful for it. By September my course is flooded with geese and their clumps of fertilizer.

And that's exactly why I too hate the winged groundhogs...nasty, little #$%^@&%'s messing up my golf course. :mad:

And now Viz went and got me cravin' some too. I reckon I might have to throw some lead at those worthless so-and-so's this fall. :bigthink: