Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dove hunt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:07 pm 

First two days of dove hunting this year has been quite a learning experience.
On the first day I took a Beretta 28 ga and a citori 20. I ended up shooting 65 shells all together to knock down 17 dove. I lost two. Nearly ended up a horrible day. My daughter, Caitlyn, took two dogs with us both GSP's and are sisters. We hunted two corn fields the first of which was heavily crowded so we moved to a second field. Day was overcast and wet so breakfast for the whitewings was delayed till around 9:15. Birds then started flying in. Neither Caitlyn or I shot well. There was a flight of three that came over us and I downed one my Caitlyn downed the other. Hers fell in a cleared area and mine hit a drainage ditch. Well both dogs took after the one in the ditch. I went and picked up the one in the dirt. Then a couple of more birds came by. We got one of those and began to wonder where the dogs were. I could hear some whining and splashing, the dogs were barely above water in front of a pipe going under a road. I started yelling and coaxing the dogs to swim to my side trying to get them to stop swimmong against the current. Lucky for us and the dogs they were able to swim clear, or it would have been a terrible day.

Day two saw me shooting a whole lot better, I have a sweet 16 and a bps in 16 ga. Using these guns I shot 16 birds with 26 shots. Lost one on the roof on an abandoned house. This day was not without its problems either. Caitlyn wanted to shoot a bss 20 I had locked up in the truck so she and a dog ( her dog Penny) walked to the truck. I had parked the truck near a few bee hives. I know the bee keeper and he doesn't mind if we park there. Well Penny decides she needs a drink so she runs to a puddle and jumps in to begin drinking and cooling off. The puddle was being used for water by the bees and before you know it she is out of there and running toward Caitlyn. Caitlyn ends up being stung twice and I took 24 stingers out of Penny. I give the Penny and Caitlyn some benadril, and keep a sharp eye on the Penny to see if she starts showing any adverse affects of the many stings. She seems to be doing fine so I let Caitlyn try and fill her limit of birds. Penny was/is fine until another dig decides to take a bird away from her. So a dog fight starts, we get dogs separated and then Penny steps on a corn stalk wrong and tears a pad. So now I have a beestung, bitten and sore footed dog. Penny tells me she is ready to go again though. What amazing animals!!!

If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Post subject: Re: Dove hunt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:11 pm 

Quite a trip 3Cs,,, :biglol:

I haven't even got a gun out yet,,, the birds are so scattered here, I don't think I'd see a limit, much less shoot one. Also, my options on hunting buddies is very limited,,, dove hunting isn't the same when you're hunting solo.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week!! :banana:

:drink:

Post subject: Re: Dove hunt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

3crosses , that's one heck of hunt , makes anyone want to get out their shotgun and start hunting, our grouse season opens the 13 th shotguns are ready and shells are well supplied :bigtup:

Good Luck Hunting

2 Grandsons Now