Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Outdoor Pursuits    Small Game & Waterfowl Hunting

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Viz CONGRATS on your find .. that is wonderful !!

hope you have a few pictures to share ..

I'll await the great findings on the how 's ???

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:53 am 

Pretty cool Joe. I've never found an active nest..all the ones I've found had been raided by a predator.

I've got a mourning dove nesting in my apricot tree. Can't believe how flimsy their nests are.
Was kinda funny the first time I saw her. I went out to gather apricots, when this dove came fluttering down to the ground with a broken wing. I thought "poor thing, how'd she even manage to get up into the tree with a broken wing". Duh. Once the light went on, I looked around and found her nest. Been fun watching. 2 eggs so far, I think that's about average.
She's getting lots of exercise, what with me and Linda gathering apricots twice a day.
Hey, did you know we have apricots? :roll:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:52 am 
Mother Nature's little teaching aids. Gotta love 'em.

Congrats on your first nest, Viz. The only ones I have ever seen were at my uncle's down in San Antone who had a house in the side of a hill with an aviary in it that he would collect quail and dove eggs from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:20 pm 
I take mine with me just about everyplace I go anymore, assuming I remember to go out and grab it off the motorcycle where I stow it most of the time. I've always loved gadgets and GSP units are gadgets with a purpose! :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:24 pm 
As long as the sun is out, I am generally golden. But, if it is too overcast, I am kinda screwed without a compass. GPS's are just a great gizmo because it is so many things at once, depending on what model you have. But, if you are in a woods that has decent canopy cover, you are screwed even WITH a GPS as I found out a couple weeks ago when I was doing the tree survey in the rain. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:57 pm 
I've got the Garmin 60CS model. It is very nice and does okay in regular woods. It just doesn't handle deep woods with heavy canopy very well.

Garmin just released an "X" series (60CX, 60CSX, etc.) a short time ago that acquires satellites faster and works slightly better in wooded conditions, supposedly. If you decide to step up to the next level of hand-helds, that might be something worth looking at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:00 am 
I will probably bring mine out with me in September, if you want to tinker around with it, Joe. I could even send it out ahead of time for you to mess with if you want. Just be sure to leave the waypoints in there for your honey holes. :razz: :cool: :D

Viz, I hope she is still around and guarding that single egg when you go back later. Even better, I hope she lays a couple more in the same nest to be found too. :smile: