Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:44 pm

General    Historical

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:29 am 

The other day way the 229th anniversary of the Battle of King's Mountain, a American victory over the British. A American Militia consisting of mostly backwoods riflemen....

Doc, have you ever heard the song "Sweet lips: The battle of King's Mountain"? Old folk song. Grandpa Jones was the only one I know of who ever recorded it. My Grandpa used to sing it while working in his wood shop.
(Oh yeah, just a bit of trivia...Sweet Lips was the name of a rifle that served a pivotal role in the battle)

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:33 am 

Yeah, I've always thought so. "Sweet Lips" was the rifle used by Robert Young, a frontiersman in his mid 60s who is generally credited with killing British Major Furguson (though there were 7 bullet holes in the body).

Wasn't a major battle, but some say it was the turning point of the war....and it was there in Tennessee! :bigtup:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 pm 

Location: Southeastern shore, Lake Michigan Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Would that be "1781" :bigthink: That is a long time ago :bigtup:

Cool story. I'll have to google the song.

http://www.angelfire.com/il/ClevelandFa ... tlips.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

DC I have heard of the battle but not the song.

Seems like I heard that The Brit was sheltered by rocks and there was no clear shot at him and the Americano tried and riccochedaround ball into his abdomen.

If that's the one I'm thinking off.....could have it confused with a battle in the War Between the States.

Doc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:18 am 

Hey, that's a pretty cool site about the song/battle, T-H!

When the song played though, I was getting sorta of a "doubling" and it was hard to understand, but could get the melody.
Looking at the lyrics, I realize that my grandpa probably only knew about a third of the song!

Doc, he was leading a charge and was shot off his horse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

nice DC , :bigtup:

2 Grandsons Now