:bigthink: interesting!

thanks for sharing

2 Grandsons Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 pm 

Location: Southeastern shore, Lake Michigan Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Seems like a good idea to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

If the true idea behind it is to keep the animals from disturbance, they should close down the woods for anything... where's the difference between me running around on public land hunting something that is in season and me running around in the woods collecting antlers or just going for a walk? Does not make a whole lot of sense to me...

On the other hand - if you now need to buy antler collecting tags, that puts the whole thing into a different light...

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 pm 

Are you serious? That is flat out ridiculous if you ask me! :sdumb:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:44 am 

Location: Southeastern shore, Lake Michigan Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This makes me think of the dire state of the deer herd in northern Wisconsin. The whitetail does have all they can handle with the wolves and bears disturbing, devouring their young and the does themselves as they try to protect their fawns. I would agree that perhaps less traffic in the woods here in Wisconsin during those crucial months might help to bring back the deer numbers. I don't think there is much antler shed traffic here.

From what I've heard about out west in Elk country, things have really changed. Hunters I know of are not returning due to low numbers and what appears to be an overly stressed herd. I have nothing against searching for sheds and it sounds like a great way to spend a spring day. I don't know enough on my own to talk intelligently about this subject so with that said, I do listen to game wardens most of the time and the quote below tells me that he knows more about the situation than I do?

The purpose of the regulation is to minimize harassment or disturbance to big game animals on their winter and spring ranges when animals are most vulnerable to stress, and potentially displace them to less productive habitats. Colorado and Utah already have similar regulations.

Game warden Neil Hymas says that most shed antler gatherers have adhered to the new regulation, and he is pleased to say that the amount of wildlife harassment this winter has been much lower than in previous winters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 am 

It just makes me wonder how the animals survived back in the neanderthal times when hunting was a daily necessity. :bigthink: I know their were a lot less hunters back then as we have now, but their were also more predators. I dunno... maybe I'm totally missing the point on this. I understand the game wardens are tying to relieve as much stress as possible, so maybe we should be wolf hunting instead? :sparklr: