Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:23 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Horses & Tack Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Virginia's Attack Ponies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm 

When Linda and I took the trail to the top of Virginia's high point, Mt. Rogers, we had to face packs of ferocious wild ponies on the national forest.
Here, we came around a bend...they saw us!
Attachment:
051.JPG
051.JPG [ 163.74 KiB | Viewed 1570 times ]

Two are sent to block our trail...
Attachment:
047.JPG
047.JPG [ 179.56 KiB | Viewed 1578 times ]

Before I had a chance to act, 2 attacked Linda!
Attachment:
045.JPG
045.JPG [ 172.78 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]

:biglol: :biglol: :biglol:
Cute, friendly, and an unexpected treat on a 9 mile hike!
Being that they are on Forest Service land, there is a yearly roundup and auction. Wish we lived closer.

No one really knows where they came from. If you want to know more about them, Google "Grayson Highlands State Park Ponies". :bigtup:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

They are really cute! Nice pictures!

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 am 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

Bring em' with you DC. I have a big barn...

Its nice to see a horse living in the wild.

Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:43 am 

We saw over a hundred. The Forest Service is trying to keep them confined...there are 'trick" gates and stiles to prevent their leaving certain pastures, but we found their tracks and droppings way back into the wilderness area. There is a local group, the "Wilburn Ridge Pony Association" that monitors them.
No one seems to know for sure, but it is believed that the Forest Service introduced them back in the early 1900s for brush control and to preserve the "Balds" on the mountains.
You don't even have to hike to see them. They come into the meadows at the state park. Horse friendly park...lots of riding trails and facilities.
Like I said, it was an unexpected treat. Got to hike a part of the Appalachian Trail, climbed a high point, saw some beautiful country, and ponies! :clap:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

I think you got to show me on a map where exactly that was so I can take my wife and daughters to that place (and I admit, I would love to see wild ponies as well...).

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

DC.. great photos ,glad to hear Linda & you had a great time, I 'm sure it's been a great adventure for you both , can't wait to see more pictures , :bigtup:

thanks for sharing

2 Grandsons Now

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 am 

Mary, the Smokys were fantastic! Took a couple of hikes, including the short half miler to the top of Clingman's Dome on the Tennessee section of the park (got another high point! :bigtup: ) Could'nt get through Pigeon Forge fast enough though...kinda of a cross between Vegas and Disneyland, but Smoky Mtn. Knife Company was definiately worth the stop.
Yeah, there will be another trip the year after next when YHEC is held in Mansfield PA again. Linda had such a great time up there she's already talking about it. We are thinking about going out on a northern route ( be up in your country TT!) and coming home on a southern. A lot will depend on where the price of gas is then, too.
I'll post pictures and a trip recap when I get home to my desktop. I hate typing any amount on a laptop. I'm doing this at Doc's on his 'puter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Deercop wrote:
( be up in your country TT!)

you both just come on up when you're ready :bigtup:

Dillinger's place is just a few miles away

2 Grandsons Now