Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Outdoor Pursuits    Blackpowder

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unplanned Addition...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 am 

OK. It wasn't planned. I wasn't even looking...
Got to Roswell before the office opened, ran down the street for a cup of coffee. Saw a garage sale down a sidestreet, so thought it would be something to do while waiting. Maybe I'd get lucky and find a good book or some CDs.
Nope.
Found a new muzzleloader.
Traditions Crockett .32 Percussion http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R26128101 still in it's box. Guy said it was a Christmas present from 2 years ago. He never used it because it was too small a caliber for deer. Had been meaning to sale it, but never got around to it.
I asked how much he wanted for it. He said $150. I didn't argue. I saw these on sale in the Sportsman's Guide last year for $299.
Took it out yesterday to see what it could do.
At 25yds with 20gr. of 3F powder, a .310 ball and .010 patch, it kept 5 shots inside of 1.5". I increased the charge by 5 grain increments up to 35gr. Group size stayed the same, but were centered slightly higher.
I know it can do better. Have ordered some .015 patches, gonna try the procedure all over again. I could start the ball into the barrel with thumb pressure with the .010 patch, so it was probably too lose a combination.
Once I find it's load, then I'll start working on getting it zeroed.
Prairie poodles, bunnies and squirrels...watch out!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 am 
:biglol: :biglol: :biglol:

Well, at least you intended to buy your latest addition, even though you didn't expect to find it there. :roll:

Sounds like a fun rifle, Wes. It sounds like you have already had some fun with it and I hope you continue to. :cool:

Now, what in the...are prairie poodles? Prairie dogs, I assume? :bigthink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 am 

This is my first experience with small caliber muzzleloaders. The manual that came with the rifle recommended a starting load of 20gr. of powder. I really kinda-sorta expected the ball to bounce off the cardboard box with that charge at 25 yds....It put that lil pill thru a 2x4! More than enough umph for small game!
What I plan to do is sight it dead on at 25yds with the 20gr charge. That should fit the bill for most squirrel hunting. Then increase the powder charge until it's dead on again at 50yds..rabbit range. Both of those I want accuracy enough for head shots. Prairiedogs, well, don't need that much precision, but if the wind isn't too bad, should be able to take to 100yds or so with the rabbit load.
And one of the coolest parts is, with the 20gr charge, the rifle isn't any louder than a capgun!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:03 pm 

Sounds like a GREAT off-season meat gun to me !!!!!! :sparklr:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

DC.. Congrats On the great find ..

I bet it'll prove to be the best bargin you own!!

:bigtup: :cool:

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 pm 
Good find Deercop:
I used to have a .32 Cal flint longrifle that was death on treerats with a 20gr charge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15 am 

I'd been wanting a .32 or .36 for awhile, and was leaning toward a flintlock. Would liked to have found a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee. This was just too good a deal to pass up. Maybe someday a good deal on a flinter will come along. I could sell the Crockett for more than I bought it for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:36 pm 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

How would it be on doves..... :bigthink:

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 pm 

La, La, La (fingers in ears,eyes closed).
I never read that Doc... :biglol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:57 am 

Well, did some more load development on "Lil' Bit".
Ran thru same range of charges using .015 patching. Shrunk groups down to just over 1". I can still start patched ball down barrel with just thumb pressure, so I think I can get her to do even better if I can find some .315 balls somewhere. Probably have to order some.

Haven't told Lil Bil about plans for a squirrel hunt in October when tassle-ear season opens. She sure has fun just punching paper..I probably won't be able to pry her out of my hands once she's been hunting! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:20 am 
Let's hope not, Wes. It sounds like you are having on fun time with your new hutning buddy. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm 

As "Lil Bit" is gonna be a small game rifle, I want to set up the shooting pouch for small game hunting. Been looking for a small knife to sheath on the backside of the pouch. I found one while up in the mountains this last weekend.

Attachments:
Small Game Knife.jpg
Small Game Knife.jpg [ 92.16 KiB | Viewed 12363 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:33 pm 
Is that pattern welded/damascus, Wes? Nice looking little blade ya got there.

I looked at a couple damascus blades at the gun show over the weekend. Look nice and will keep a great edge, but not really practical for my needs. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:11 am 

It's forged. Apparently he cuts the blade shape out of the saw blade, then hammer forges it. He doesn't polish the blade, just leaves it rough. Pretty cool! I like the decoration at the base of the blade. It's just like the old Spanish Colonial knifes I've seen in museums. Plus he put some jimping on the top of the blade, which really adds to the look.
Best part? Was less than $25!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:54 am 

Took Lil Bit out yesterday just before sunset. Discovered that not only is she pretty, that when properly fed, she can perform well too!
Finally found some .315 roundballs. Tried them with .010 and .015 patches, 20-30 grains of FFFG powder.
Lil Bit likes the .315 roundballs with .015 patches, and 25grs. powder! Where the 20gr. charges were getting a POW!, the 25gr. charges were giving a very authoritative CRACK! I was getting consistant 3/8" 5 shot groups at 25yds. (this is with traditional open sights). A little work with a file and mallet, and I was able to drift the group dead center on a target.
Set the target out to 50yds. 30grs. of powder brought it back up to dead center, with 7/8" groups! :cool:

This is definately going to be a fun small game season this year! :banana: :banana: