Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:54 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Blackpowder

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:32 pm 

Just got an e-mail from Jackie Brown, a muzzleloading firearm gunsmith from down in Walnut, Mississippi. He will be finishing my flintlock canoegun this week! She's a 20ga Northwest Tradegun Pattern musket with a 24" round to octagon barrel and a Queen Anne Pattern Flintlock. Been waiting 3 years for this message!
Ye Ha! She's a comin', and I know she'll be purty! She's gonna get decorated with one of the buckeyes Doc just sent me, that's for sure.

Jackie is one of the best known makers of period correct firearms in the United States. When I ordered this musket 3 years ago, the price was $500. Now it's $650. Not a bad price for a 1780-1860 period handmade and tuned flintlock musket.

I just might have to take her along on DnC, get her first blood on doves.

If you can't tell, I'm just a wee bit excited!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:24 pm 

Due to the popularity of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone, most people think the rifle was the firearm of the frontiersman. It is now believed that smoothbores were much more common. They weighed less..my canoe gun will be around 5 lbs. It can shoot a .62cal patched roundball almost as accurately as a rifle to 75yds. Can shoot buckshot, bucknball, or birdshot. It can be loaded much faster than a muzzleloading rifle. Smoothbores were much more versitile for gathering game than rifles.
It wasn't until western expansion into the plains and the requirement for longer ranges made the rifle the predominant firearm.
I have a full sized Northwest Gun (36" barrel)made by Pedersoli already. This "Little Sister" will be a welcome addition.
Why is it called a canoegun? It was a term used for any short barrelled musket of any pattern used in the northwest. Canoes were a common means of transportation. A long barrelled firearm was virtually impossible to load while seated in a canoe.

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am 
:bigtup:

Sounds like an awesome smokepole, Wes. I would love to see it if you bring it to DnC too.

When I lived in Williamsburg, VA I loved to go into the gunsmith shop there and watch and listen to the guys talk about the weapons and how they made them in comparison to true period fashion (they had better forges and tools, but still handmade them). The waiting list back then ('88, I think it was) was already 4-5 years for one. I don't remember the price though.

It would be cool to see Mr. Brown's shop and setup too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:37 am 

Jackie makes everything except for the locks. He's really most famous for his Southern style Flintlock pistols.
He keeps his prices down, and production up by using modern tools and procedures.
If I was retiring around Walnut Mississippi, I know what I'd be doing. Jackie takes on several apprentices to learn the trade each year. Now wouldn't that be cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm 
Sounds like a real interesting gun! I hope that you post pics when it arrives. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:34 am 

My dispatcher left me a message:
"A package has arrived for you. Looks like a gun. From a Jackie Brown" :banana: :banana:

My new muzzleloader is in Roswell, I'm in Clovis. :cry:

Hmmm...Wonder if I would get into trouble if I went to Socorro via Roswell on Monday? It would "only" add about 100 miles to the trip... :bigthink:

Gotta get to it before those darn aliens in Roswell mess with it. Technically challenged litte #@%&s...I know they would put it up uncleaned, with sucker marks all over it, and that caustic drool would surely cause rust...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:31 pm 

Yeah,,,,,and in addition to the safety concerns,,,,,,,,,,,,I hear someone saw what could have been a quail trap behind a mesquite (maybe it was a grease wood) either 1 or 10 miles west of Roswell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:cool:

:drink:

Congratulation's DeerCop !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:23 pm 

Ok, I knew I could count on y'all!!
"The road thru Roswell/Capitan/Carrizozo/Bingham would be the safest route" and a "Confidential Informant" advised me of a possible violation west of Roswell..
Yup, now I'll have to go thru Roswell! :banana: :banana:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:18 am 

Got it! :banana:

Here she is..20ga./.69cal Northwest Tradegun Pattern "Canoegun" with a Queen Anne style flintlock (pre 1750), octogon to round 24" barrel with a "turtle" front sight. Metal parts are all browned. It's a hunter's gun, nothing to shine and give itself away.

She didn't come with a flint for the lock. I found a broken arrowhead to use..but didn't have a piece of leather to clamp it into the jaws with. :mad: So I cut and folded a cleaning patch to use instead. Hey, new gun! You know I had to shoot it!
There's a reason cloth wasn't used on flintlocks...it catches fire! Yeah, I loaded her up, primed the pan, closed the frizzen, pulled the hammer back, and let er rip...very satisfying boom and cloud of smoke..but my cloth "flint holder" was aflame!
This picture was taken prior to being fired and burning up the flint holder. Next time I will have a proper flint and leather flint pad!
This is gonna be fun!

Attachments:
Socorro Antelope Hunt Patrol 002.jpg
Socorro Antelope Hunt Patrol 002.jpg [ 448.66 KiB | Viewed 6811 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 am 

Congrats DC !!!!!,

Great looking piece,,,,I really like the wood you put on it,,,,,much prettier than I expected!!

:drink:

:sbear:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:58 am 

Nice gun DC. Can't wait to see you down a dove with it at the DnC. Of course we will say you missed as you won't be able to see if you hit it or not.

You putting in 7/8 oz shot in it and about 90 gr. FFg. should give you about 1100 fps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:42 pm 

I'll have to try that load 3Cs.
Usually, for muzzleloading shotguns they recommend starting with equal volumes of shot to powder..7/8s oz shot would be about 70 gr. FFG powder. Will have to work up to a load, but it's nice to know what kind of velocity to expect.
Dixie Gun Works recommends setting a soup can at 25yds. If the shot penetrates both sides, it's shooting "hard" enough! :bigthink:
I don't have alot of experience with muzzleloading shotguns. Cushion wads, over powder wads, over shot wads... :sdumb:
Now comes the time for "Accessorizing"...shooting pouch, powderhorn, shot flasks, tools....
Hope Linda doesn't see this... :sparklr:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm 

Quote:
Hope Linda doesn't see this...

Even if she does, it is not as if you will need a lot of rounds. Won't have time to shoot them anyway, fire load and then fire. By that time the birds would quit flying.

One thing the pioneers needed was lots of game!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:59 pm 

Oh, she knows about the gun.
I had the "roll the eyes back, hands on hips" routine years ago when I ordered it. :roll:

Now it's all the goodies I need to shoot it (and look good while doing it) that will run up the credit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:28 pm 
Very nice looking smokepole and well worth the wait. I like the early style guns and have been wanting to add a Jaeger and a Lancaster style longrifle to my collection. Of the British Empire guns I'd like to find a good repro of a Baker rifle