Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Blackpowder

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:45 am 
This is what Idaho is planning on doing in regard to muzzleloader hunting restrictions. All the modern inlines will be reclassified as modern firearms and no longer allowed to be used during muzzleloader season. The modern muzzleloaders will now be included for use during modern firearms hunting seasons.

I've no objections to this as I've always hunted with primitive muzzleloaders during Blackpowder season. The change will probably hurt the sales of modern muzzleloading firearms in Idaho. However the option is still open to those who want to use modern muzzleloaders during the general firearms season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am 

I agree with the change,,,,,,,I see guys using modern in-lines with scopes now,,,,,some guys say they're good past 300 yds.

Post subject: modern muzzleloaders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 pm 

I would have to say I disagree with that change.I've got a scope on my Knight DISC rifle mostly for low light conditions,not longe range shots.As for 300 yd. shots,I'd say that's streching the range of these guns a lot.I wouldn't take a shot more than 150 yds.No matter how many improvements they make it's still a muzzleloader,you've only got one shot and you have to put your charge and bullet down the barrel to reload.The big advantage of the new guns is reliable ignition.I've killed deer with my sidelock as well but I've also had hangfires and misfires.

soapb :roll: :roll: soapb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:24 pm 
Hi guys,
I've expected this for a while, and find it understandable if you read the hype on new muzzleloaders. In New Mexico there are now some hunts for "restricted muzzleloaders", meaning no in-lines, pellets, sabots, scopes, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if more the hunts aren't restricted each year.
Gimpy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:58 pm 
300 yards is a stretch for most muzzleloaders including most inlines, That being said my Whitworth which is a reproduction of an 1850's era British target rifle is more than capable of the task. Ballistics are about equal to a 45-90 Sharps. As hunting guns the patched roundball shooting primitive guns are best used within 100 yards.

I'm not against the change the modern muzzle loader has pretty much become the equal to a modern single shot cartridge gun in terms of technology. When I choose to go with a muzzleloader I usually use one of my Civil War repro's If I choose to go modern I use a modern cartridge rifle. The modern muzzleloader has no appeal to me.

Last edited by Mike Weber on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:26 pm 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

My problem with it is that the more the government gets involved, the more the government gets involved....

I don't have a problem with different seasons...

I have an inline with a 2X7 Leupold and its MORE deadly than a centerfire at a hundred yards....I've always held that the slower moving thumb-sized hunks of lead leave their bone-crunching power in the animal, not in a tree on the other side....

And in reality, how many places are there out there where a longer shot is needed? To me hunting means getting close, not driving to a tree in an ATV, hanging from a tree like a squirrel in Gomer Pyle camo with my "Rattle-paddle" and "deer-view mirror", range finders, GPS, etc. and shooting at 300 yards....

But since I am not the opinionated type, it comes back to the fact that even if they are right, I don't like the G-men deciding my actions...

Dang revunoors.... :mad:

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:11 pm 

I agree with you ,Doc about big slow moving lead doing serious damage on an animal.And yeah I would say that's something that doesn't need to be decided by government,I wouldn't think that would account for a whole lot more or less deer being harvested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:24 pm 

I don't have a problem with anyone using the weapon of their choice during the regular season.

I also support the early seasons for archery and primitive firearms,,,,,,

I just don't think the modern black-powder shooters need the additional opportunities provided them in the primitive firearms special season.
I think Mike is 100% correct!!!!!

JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:43 am 
Quote:
My problem with it is that the more the government gets involved, the more the government gets involved....
But since I am not the opinionated type, it comes back to the fact that even if they are right, I don't like the G-men deciding my actions...

Dang revunoors....

Doc:
Fortunately Idaho is one of the states that hasn't gone nuts and overregulated hunting and fishing. This is one of the reasons that I prefer to do a lot of my hunting and fishing in Idaho. Washington state regulations have become a bloody nightmare and you just about need a Harvard law degree to decypher them from year to year.

The next thing I'd like to see them legalize is the use of stone points for archery. I've got a nice piece of Bo Dark wood out in my garage just begging to be carved into a traditional style bow and a good friend who is an excellent flint knapper. If they ever legalize stone points I may just revert to flinging sharp pointed sticks at my game animals with a genuine Injun bow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 am 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

Mike its getting complicated like that here in Ohio, primitive season, archery, muzzleloader, gun, special permits, farm tags, youth hunts etc....

I really don't mind different seasons because it was irrelevant to me personally, but I do see a strong argument against them.

Should there be one for spears, reflex bows, compound bows, matchlocks, flintlocks, muzzleloaders with caps, inlines, shotguns, slug guns, pistols, single shot centerfire, autoloading centerfire?

And which one will get the prime rut time?
Gun because its shorter or archery because its more difficult?

What justifies any of that group getting preference over any other?

Why must bow season always come before gun season?
Do bow hunters pay a higher rate of taxes than gun hunters?

One law of physics....."once the government becomes involved, that involvement grows, it never lessens..."

I am in favor of a plain deer season....

Hunt with whatever that is legal that you want.......to me the key should be in the hunting not on the weapon.

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:03 am 
Doc:
I think a lot of us long for simplified regulations. I remember at the time I got my first hunting license all that was required was a hunting license deer tag bear tag and elk tag, at the time those tags sold for $2.50 each and IIRC the license was $5.00 if you wanted to hunt waterfowl you needed to get a duck stamp which I believe sold for an additional $3.50

Deer season was broken up into three phases.
Early either sex season allowed the use of shotguns muzzleloaders and archery equiptment

General season was for mainly modern firearms, but if you chose to use a shotgun, muzzleloader or bow you were free to do so.

Then we had a doe season.

Under the old regulations you could hunt any of the three species of deer in Washington State anywhere within the state where it was legal to hunt by simply purchasing a hunting license and deer tag.

Under the current regulations you have to specify the species you will be hunting and the wildlife management unit where you'll be hunting them. Many of these units are trophy hunt units only where a buck deer must have three points or more to be legally taken.

As to firearms regulations I can understand requiring a minimum caliber for large game. I have no objection to separating primitive weapons seasons from modern.

What I do object to are requirements for special permits for just about everything now. If you want to shoot varmints you need a varmint permit at an additional $15.00 the same for upland game birds, bulfrogs.... it goes on and on.

Another major objection of mine is the fact that most of these regulations are created by people who never leave their Seattle area offices, they have no concept of the areas or species they are attempting to regulate and the whole process seems more intent on generating additional revenue than managing the overall well being of the game species.

And of course you allready know where I stand regarding ballot box wildlife legislation such as that which brought about our statewide trapping ban and the ban on using hounds for bear and cougar hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:17 am 

Didn't know there was a restriction on the use of stone arrowheads.According to our Manitoba regs. an arrowhead has to be a minimum of "7/8 wide but doesn't specify what material it has to be made from.You'd think they could stay out of that as anyone so dedicated to bowhunting as to use a stone point will make sure it is well shaped and sharp. As for modern muzzleloaders I'm really fond of my Knight DISC as it is a very well made rifle but I also understand the appeal of more conventional muzzleloaders.

:bigthink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 am 
The stone point restriction is based on the minimum requirement for weight in grains of an arrow point. The stone points are lighter than steel points, allthough a well knapped stone point is every bit as effective as a steel point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:13 pm 

Hey Doc, "I'm from the Federal Government, I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan was true when he spoke those words.

I like both primitive with a Hawken Rifle or my CVA in-line.
I use the in-line during Ohio's gun season as I don't like killing deer with a shotgun.

The gubment needs to back out and go back to sleep at the switch.

Ben

I'll keep my Freedom, Religion, Guns and Money you can have the Change."
Liberalism is a sign of a diseased mind. Status Quo is a looter mentality given to moochers.
"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for YOURSELF."