Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:54 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Blackpowder

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Game Shooting Bag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:58 pm 

Well, weather's been crummy, and I'm on leave (one of those "use it or lose it" deals...), so I decided to catch up on some projects.
One of which was a shooting bag for my .32cal small game rifle.
Made some paper patterns, cut up an old set of chinks that were lying around unused in the garage. Spent last night sewing it together.
Can't wait to give it a field trial!
I finally found a use for a flat powderhorn I picked up several years ago as well. With the rifle using a 30gr. powder charge, the horn holds enough powder for 35 shots.

Attachments:
Small Game Rifle Shooting Pouch.jpg
Small Game Rifle Shooting Pouch.jpg [ 393.97 KiB | Viewed 3753 times ]

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:16 pm 

DC, No body told us you were an artist, in addition to your other skills!!!!

GREAT design and work !!!! :bigtup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:48 pm 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

Looks really good Wes..!

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:41 pm 
Nice looking possibles bag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:21 pm 

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments!
Once my fingers heal :biglol: I'll start my next project..my shot snake (with gen-u-wine Irish flask tip ) :bigtup:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own... let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried under avalanches --- that is the right and privilege of any free American." -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm 
I like that flat horn, It got me to thinking about hollowing out a big elk antler fork that I have and making a pan charger out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:33 pm 

Good idea! I tried making one from a antelope horn...stuff is really "different" to work with. Just compressed hair.
A friend of mine had a piece of elk horn that was just the right shape to make a combination pan charger/ball starter.

I like the flat horn. Got it from Crazy Crow several years ago, but with a .50 or .54 rifle w/80-100gr powder charges, it just wasn't practical.
I don't like a pouch that swings when I walk. Got this style from an article in Muzzleloader Magazine several years ago, and it does a good job of staying put. I wear it high where it can be secured with my elbow, and the flat horn is perfect!
The gamehangers are a new idea for me. Saw some other examples where the hangers are on the flap or face of the pouch. How would you get into the pouch? And blood would get on everything. Putting them on the strap buckles gets them away from the pouch. Don't know if it will make a mess of my pants or not. Will have to try it out and see.