Alloutdoorsforum - aofusa.com

Your Family Oriented Outdoors Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 am

Outdoor Pursuits    Blackpowder

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clean Blackpowder?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:24 am 
Barn Maintenance Supervisor

I have seen advertised on Jim Shockey's Show about a kind of blackpowder that you can shoot twenty or thirty times or more without cleanin.......

Anybody heard of this or had experience with it?

Seems to good to be true.

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:54 pm 
Probably one of them newfangled substitute powders. There's so many new ones that I have a hard time keeping up with them. Depending on what you're shooting If you're using enough soft bullet lube you can keep shooting without a lot of powder fouling buildup. I get through an entire CAS match with my Remington revolvers with only needing to wipe down the base pins as this is an area where the fouling gums em up and locks em up. Conical bullets sometimes don't carry enough lube to keep the fouling softened up. Thats why I prefer bullets with big lube grooves and when shootin roundball out of a muzzleloader patches with lots of soft lube on em wipe out the fouling between shots and make cleanup fairly easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:24 pm 
No, but let me know if anyone DOES hear anything more about it. If they can make it and it works in a BP rifle I will be one of the many in line to get some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 pm 
One thing to keep in mind, many of the substitutes are much more corrosive than real Blackpowder. Especially Pyrodex. I've got a repro Colt 1860 Army revolver that has the bluing on the right side of the barrel speckled from Pyrodex residue. The Pyrodex ate the blueing right off a brand new pistol! This happened when the gun was brand new and it was the first time I'd taken it out to shoot it. The damage was done in a period of three hours from the time I left the range until I got home and cleaned the gun. Black powder is more forgiving just requires cleaning the gun the same day you shoot it.

Post subject: clean blackpowder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:33 pm 

I've never used anything except Pyrodex in both loose and pellet form and haven't really had any problems with corrosion.I've got a Knight DISC rifle with a stainless steel barrel and aTC White Mountain Carbine.I put a musket nipple conversion in the TC for better ignition.Anyways I load the Knight at the start of the three week season with Pyrodex and sometimes don't shoot it off for acouple weeks.(never had a misfire with the Knight).Of course I clean it the same day it's fired.I'm planning to use the Jim Shockey's Gold powder cuz it seems like even easier cleanup.

:sparklr: :wink: :bigthink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 pm 

Doc, Its called Jim Shockey's Gold Powder from Pioneer. They saw in the add you can fire 30 shots between cleanings and not lose accuracy.

Ben

I'll keep my Freedom, Religion, Guns and Money you can have the Change."
Liberalism is a sign of a diseased mind. Status Quo is a looter mentality given to moochers.
"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for YOURSELF."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:17 am 
I bought some and fired it, it seemed to do everythging it is suposed to do but that sh#$ stinks to high heaven , I mean it would gag a magot, it was all I could do to draw a breath, The wind was not in my favor, so I hung it up for the day, try again Saturday, but to answer your question, YES after about 9 shots My TC 54 cal side hammer was dang near spotless, as for accuracy and consistancy I was not able to shoot alot to get a feel for the stuff, but as far as clean I was truly amazed!!! I'll let you know more Saturday when I get home from the range. [/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 am 

Welcome aboard Rickrem700.
Let us know more about the clean stuff. You are theonly one that I know of personally that has tried it....

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Doc.... RRman & myself saw that same program , glad to hear rickrem700"s results ...

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:25 am 

Bought some of the Jim Shockey's Gold sticks a couple days ago,I'll be trying them in a couple days and I'll report back.As Jim Shockey probably holds more muzzleloading records than anyone,I'm sure I'll be pleased with the performance.
:banana: :banana:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Driller , great to hear you're going to try the powder ,hope the results are great ..

2 Grandsons Now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:08 am 

I know that Jim Shockey's muzzleloader records aren't all that truly amazing,since he uses a gun capable of 150 yd. shots and not really sucseptible(probably spelled wrong)to misfires.If he was using a flintlock and FFg powder would be truly impressive.I would have to say his main accomplishment is "one shot" kills as his rep. as a proffessional hunter puts him in places most of us can't afford.That being said,I do believe he's a good hunter as a single shot rifle of any type forces you to wait for the best shot possible. :banana: :banana:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:17 am 

I don't feel there is any gun more potent than a 50 caliber hunk of lead thrown from a muzzleloader....thats why Shockey has so many drop dead shots (and others have too).

As I have preached, because of big lead and slower velocities instead of small lead and extreme velocities, the power of a ML is dissipated inside the animal and not on a tree on the other side...

I never put much value to the "I shoot all the way through and never recover a bullet" brag.

And the waiting for the right shot cannot be underestimated....

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:55 pm 

Doc,what do you think of a bonded bullet as compared to a bullet that breaks up.I've got a friend who insists that a bullet does more damage if it breaks into a lot of small pieces,while I believe that a bullet that mushrooms on impact but stays together kills much better.
You're right about .50 bullets doing a lot of damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:47 am 

Driller I like a bullet that mushrooms.

A fragmented bullet will do damage no doubt, but it just seems to me that a big hunk of lead that has enough momentum to reach the vitals packs more punch.

Doc